Saturday , 19 January 2019
Home » Religious Sites » Christian Religious Sites » Chapel of Flagellation

Chapel of Flagellation

The Franciscan Chapel of Flagellation

The complex was given to the Franciscans by Ibrahim Pasha of Egypt in the 19th century.

The Roman Catholic chapel, built during the 1920s on the site of a medieval crusader shrine erected by the Crusaders, is now run by the Franciscans. In 1838 it was acquired by the Franciscans and re-opened for worship, thanks to the generous gift of Maximilian of Bavaria, as is noted on a stone in its facade. The architect A. Barluzzi restored it in 1929, retaining the medieval style. Points of interest include the church’s three stained glass windows, each depicting a different aspect of the church’s Biblical history, and the church’s mosaic-clad golden dome. The first window depicts Pontius Pilate washing his hands, (Matthew 27:24) the second the Flagellation, (Mark 15:15) (John 19:1) and the third the victory of Barabbas. (Matthew 27:26) (Mark 15:15) (Luke 23:24-25).

On the right side of the entrance is a small exhibition of archaeological findings. The complex hosts the Franciscan Study Centre of the Custody of the Holy Land (SBF – Stadium Biblicum Franciscanum).

Franciscan Chapel of Flagellation
Franciscan Chapel of Flagellation

 

Interior of Franciscan Chapel of Flagellation
Interior of Franciscan Chapel of Flagellation
Interior of Franciscan Chapel of Flagellation
Interior of Franciscan Chapel of Flagellation
Interior of Franciscan Chapel of Flagellation
Interior of Franciscan Chapel of Flagellation
Interior of Franciscan Chapel of Flagellation
Interior of Franciscan Chapel of Flagellation
Via Dolorosa map
Via Dolorosa map

The Flagellation Museum, displaying archaeological artifacts from several Holy Land sites is open daily (except Sunday and Monday), 9am-1pm and 2-4pm.

About Israel and You

Cameling in the holy land since forever