Chapel of the Condemnation and Imposition of the Cross
The Catholic Franciscan chapel marks the site where Jesus took up the cross after being sentenced to crucifixion at the second station of the Via Dolorosa.
The identification of the Chapel of the Condemnation and Imposition of the Cross is based on large Roman pavement stones that may have been part of Pilate’s judgment seat for the condemnation of Jesus – based on the Biblical verse that describes this place (John 19:13): “When Pilate therefore heard that saying, he brought Jesus forth, and sat down in the judgment seat in a place that is called the Pavement” – Lithostrotos- Gavta in Aramaic. Archaeological investigation indicates that these slabs are the paving of the eastern of two 2nd century Forums, built by Hadrian as part of the construction of Aelia Capitolina. The site of the Forum had previously been a large open-air pool, the Strouthion Pool, which was constructed by the Hasmoneans.
The church is adjacent to the Flagellation church.
An earlier chapel was located at the site of the Condemnation chapel. Its construction is dated to the years 1229-1244. It was ruined in the 13th Century. The new church was built by the Franciscans during the years 1903-1904, on the ruins of the Crusaders chapel.
The sanctuary has five shiny white domes, each of them sitting on a stained-glass window- enveloped drum. Papier-mache figures in the apse tell the powerful stories of the Passion.
A model of the city at the Roman Roman is seen below, from a southern view. The Temple Mount is located in the top right. The Antonia fortress and the hall of judgment is located behind the temple. The Herodian aqueduct is seen leading from the bottom left to the city.
Visiting hours: Daily 8:00-12:00; 14:00-17:00