Ir David” or the “City of David”, is the actual location of the biblical city of Jerusalem captured by King David over 3,000 years ago. The Ir David Foundation (Amutat EL-AD), a non-profit organization established in 1986, is dedicated to the preservation and development of the Biblical City of David and its environs.
Pass through the underground tunnels through which the city was conquered and residents fled. Go down to the hidden spring where kings were crowned. Walk in illuminated darkness through the water of Hezekiah’s Tunnel, where water has flowed since the time of the prophets. Join the mysterious, magical journey between ancient shafts, walls and fortresses at the City of David, the place where Jerusalem was born.
- Tickets can be purchased until two hours before closing time
- The last entrance to Hezekiah’s Tunnel is one hour before closing time
- The last entrance to the Warrens Shaft is one hour before closing time.
- Last entrance to Warrens Shaft does not include walking through Hezekiah’s Tunnel.
The Ir David Foundation (Amutat EL-AD) has done a great job. The site is working at about 100% capacity. I highly recommend that they rent “Tour Guide Systems” to guides leading groups. With the crowded conditions and ancient acoustics Tour Guide Systems would allow the guide to speak quietly without bothering other groups and to ensure his explanations are heard by all the members of the group. What do you think?
City of David (Ir David)
Sunday-Thursday 08:00-17:00 (Winter) 08:00-19:00 (Summer)
Friday 08:00-14:00 (Winter) 08:00-16:00 (Summer)
|Ticket||Adult||Child(5-18), senior citizen|
|Biblical City of David- Guided Tour||60||45|
|Guided Tour for “Matmon” card owner||35||32|
- A guided tour of the City of David includes:
- 3D Movie
- A panoramic view of the surrounding area
Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/customer/www/israelandyou.com/public_html/wp-content/plugins/slideshow-satellite/views/orbit/jsinit.php on line 17
- Dr. Mazar’s Palace Excavation- an impressive structure from the period of the Judean kings.
- The Royal Acropolis (Area G) and remnants of remarkable homes from the Biblical Period.
- The underground water system from the time of Abraham including recent discoveries of the Canaanite fortress that guarded ancient Jerusalem’s main water source- the Gihon Spring.
Archaeology and Numismatics
- Tour length is 3 hours.
- The tour includes walking through an underground tunnel.For those that choose to walk through the water tunnel, water shoes and flashlights are required (available for purchase at our Gift Shop).The use of candles or walking barefoot is strictly prohibited. Entrance recommended for those 5 years and older.
- The water may reach up to 70cm (28 inches).
- Please notice that the tour includes walking up and down stairs.
- Babies and toddlers may join the tour in a front baby carrier only. No strollers please.
- There are storage lockers at the site for your convenience at a cost of 10 nis. We apologize but there is no room to store baby carriages.
- The Old City is closed off to private vehicles.
- In order to reach the City of David by foot, exit the Old City via the Dung Gate (the gate closest to the Western Wall Plaza). Turn left and shortly after (approximately 50 meters), make a right. The entrance to the City of David will be on your left hand side.
- Transportation is available at the end of the tour to take you to the starting point. Cost- 5 NIS.