The best way to make friends with Jaffa is to begin by foot from the Clock Tower Square. Here you meet the New Saraya and the Greek Orthodox Market, continue by way of the Mahmoudiya Mosque and the Old Saraya the wonderful panorama of the Mediterranean coast north to Tel Aviv. A short walk with a lot of tourist value – and a lot of restaurants!
First View of Jaffa
This clock tower was built in 1901 in Jaffa’s town square, one of seven clock towers built in “Israel” in celebration of the 25th anniversary of the reign of the Turkish sultan Abdul Hamid the Second.
The (New) Saraya (Ottoman governor’s palace) was built in the 1890s that replace the Old Saraya building which now houses the Museum. Before the War of Independence this was the headquarters of the Arab insurgents. The Saraya was destroyed by a truck bomb place by the Lechi forces.
Greek Orthodox Market
This is the largest Mosque in Jaffa. The mosque was built by Abu Nabbut, the governor of Jaffa, over an ancient mosque between 1812-1814.
Ancient Jaffa City Wall
This photo was taken at the Jerusalem Gate (Abu Nabbut Gate) which leads to the main road to Jerusalem. The yellow stones mark the gate in the city wall. The remains of the city wall were covered.
Assarayah al Atiqa
The Soap Factory Compound was erected on foundations from the crusader era. The Old Saraya was built in the 18th century as the seat of the Ottoman governor. Later called the Assarayah al Atiqa, it served also as a post office and guard house after the construction of the new Saraya governor’s house in the Clock Tower Square. In 1733 part of the building was purchased by the Demiani family, a Christian family of Jaffa, and converted to be used as a soap factory. Abandoned during the War of Independence, the Jaffa Museum of Antiquities was established in it. In another part of the structure the Arab-Hebrew Theater functions, and its western section is closed and unused.
Panorama North to Tel Aviv