Biblical Kadesh Barnea
Kadesh-Barnea appears in the stories of Abraham (Gen. 16:14; 20:1) and in the description of the expedition of Chedorlaomer and his allies; Kadesh-Barnea, here called En-Mishpat, is said to have been inhabited by Amalekites (Gen. 14:7). Because it was an important oasis on the southern border of Canaan it served during the Exodus as an assembly point for the Israelite tribes in the desert (Deut. 1:46).
Eighteen sites have been proposed as the identification of biblical Kadesh Barnea. Since 1905, Ain el-Qudeirat in the Wadi el-Ain of the northern Sinai has been widely accepted as the location of biblical Kadesh Barnea, however it is still disputed.
King Solomon’s Border Fortresses
Archeologically, it can be proven that Ain el Qudeirat was part of a series of up to 50 military fortresses built by King David and or Solomon about 1000 BC.
Kadesh Barnea Agriculture
Nitzanei Sinai was originally founded in 1977 near ancient Tel Nitzana. The settlement was temporarily relocated to Nitzana and only in 1986 did it move to its present location following Israel–Egypt Peace Agreement. It was renamed Moshav Kadesh Barnea.
Modern Kadesh Barnea is a thriving agricultural settlement of modern pioneers approximately 10 kilometers from the original location. Kadesh Barnea is the largest settlement in Pitchat Nitzana.
Tour Guides claim that the produce is extremely tasty, being grown in the desert sun and watered with a local slightly salty water source that causes the fruits and vegetables to taste sweeter than normal. Visitors are invited to tour the local greenhouses.
Wine from Negev
Ramat Negev Winery is an Israeli kosher winery located in Ramat Negev Moshav Kadesh Barnea. The vineyard was planted in 1996 on 14.82 acres of land. The vineyard is composed of mostly red grapes, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Petit Verdot, Syrah, Sauvignon Blan and Chardonnay. Three collections of wine are produced: Kadesh Barnea, Midbar and Ramon.