Hebron is different than all other cities in the Judaea and Samaria (the West Bank). This is the only city with a Jewish presence, sitting on a Jewish national monument – the Cave of the Patriarchs. All other West Bank cities have big red signs with white letters posting that Israelis are forbidden to enter. Hebron, on the other hand has the new Jewish quarter, Kiryat Arba. Many Israelis live in the crowded neighborhood on the old mound of ancient Hebron, Tel Rumeida. The Arab section has a Palestinian police force. The IDF protects Kiryat Arba, Tel Rumeida and the Cave of the Patriarchs. Between them are non-military observers of the Temporary International Presence in Hebron (TIPH).
The Modern Arab City of Hebron
Despite efforts to present the Arab population of Hebron (Al Halil) as low class, you can easily see that al-Khalil is a modern city and has shopping centers and sky scrappers.
Tel Rumeida is the ancient mound (tel) of Hebron. It is not the coziest place to live but is sure has a lot of history. It is amazing what was found in the emergency digs before these homes were built. So much Jewish history.
If you want to get a good view of the Cave of the Patriarchs go to Gan Dagan in Tel Rumeida.
Cave of the Patriarchs
This uniquely impressive building is the only one that stands intact and still fulfills its original function after thousands of years.
Kiryat Arba literally means the “Town of the Four,” is an urban Israeli settlement on the outskirts of Al Halil, in the Judean Mountains founded in 1968. Kiryat Arba had a population of 7,593 in 1912.
Hebron in Israeli Philately
Immediately after the 1967 Six Day War, Hebron appeared on new Israeli stamps.
The land around the Oak of Abraham near Al Halil was bought by the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad in 1868. The building of the church began in 1908, and the church was open in 1925. St. Trinity is the only Christian church in Hebron.