The name of this church recalls Jesus’ teaching of the Lord’s Prayer to his disciples. Steps below the altar lead down to the crypt of the 4th-century basilica, partially built in a cave with a 1st-century tomb.
The Lord’s Prayer appears in 140 languages different languages at the Church of the Pater Noster in the cave that forms the grotto under the church.
Administered by: Carmelite Sisters
Open: 8.30-noon, 2.30-4.30pm (Sunday closed).
An alternate site of Jesus’ teaching is at the site of the Chapel of the Ascension, located on the Mount of Olives, in the At-Tur district of Jerusalem.
The present church and its Carmelite Sisters cloister were completed in 1874 by Aurélie de Bossi, the Princess de la Tour d’Auvergne.