The Greek Orthodox Church Church of the Twelve Apostles, Capernaum
The Greek Orthodox church in Capernaum is situated in the more recent, north-eastern part of the ruined village, which was where the inhabitants relocated for some unknown reason: after the destruction of the old town from the time of Jesus, as a result of either the earthquake of 749 or of a man-made event of the 7th or 8th century. The Church of the Twelve Apostles is believed to stand on the site of a Byzantine church dedicated to St John the Theologian.
The church was built in 1931. It is a small, cross-shaped building with white walls and has two central domes surrounded by six smaller ones, each topped by a cross.
Following the 1948 Arab-Israeli War, the church found itself in a demilitarised zone with no access. After the Six Day War in 1967, restoration of the church was possible.
Around the Greek Orthodox church the remains of the village have not yet been excavated, unlike the synagogue of Capernaum and the buildings around it. The area under the control of the Orthodox church is 1/3 of the entire ruins, which covers about 60 dunams (6 Hectares).
Often it is named as the Church of the Seven Apostles, based on the seven disciples mentioned in John 21, but this might be erroneous.