The gallery was founded in 1996 in the heart of Umm al-Fahm, as the initiative of artist Sayid Abu Shaqra, who to this day serves as the gallery’s director and head curator. Jewish and Arab artists’ works can be found at the gallery, as well as works of other Arab artists and from the Western World. This gallery is said to be the meeting place for Israeli and Arab artists.
With a lack of other art galleries in the Arab sector in Israel, the gallery has become an important social and cultural meeting place. Contemporary art exhibits, symposiums, creative workshops and seminars have drawn large audiences and have established the gallery as an important center in the local and international culture scene.
Tel: 04 -631-5257
Umm el-Fahm art Gallery,
P.O.Box 174, Umm el-Fahm
30010, Israel firstname.lastname@example.org
The Arab city of Umm el-Fahm lies in the eastern part of Israel, near the seam line separating the State of Israel from the Palestinian Authority. Umm al-Fahm (أمّ الفحم) is a city located in the Haifa District of Israel. In 2019 its population was 56,109, nearly all of whom are Arab citizens of Israel. The city is situated on the Umm al-Fahm mountain ridge, the highest point of which is Mount Iskander (522 metres (1,713 feet) above sea level), overlooking Wadi Ara. Umm al-Fahm is the an urban center, social, cultural and economic center for residents of the Wadi Ara and Triangle regions.
In 1948, there were 4,500 inhabitants, mostly farmers, in the Umm al-Fahm area. After the 1948 Arab–Israeli War, the Lausanne Conference of 1949 awarded the entire Little Triangle to Israel, which wanted it for security purposes. On 20 May 1949, the city’s leader signed an oath of allegiance to the State of Israel. Following its absorption into Israel, the town’s population grew rapidly.
Umm al-Fahm means “Mother of Charcoal” in Arabic.